top of page

Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Serving Mooresville, Statesville, Taylorsville and Hickory.

At Ralston, Benton, Byerley & Moore, we help those with work-related injuries to ensure they receive the maximum benefits available to them. Our attorneys have insider knowledge, having worked with and for insurance companies in the past. This unique perspective allows us to better assist our clients through the claims process.

If you or your loved one has experienced a work related injury or accident, call (704) 878-0787 to schedule a free case consultation with an attorney.  Our attorneys are available and willing to speak to you directly about your case.

Injured on the Job?

If you have been injured on the job, there are certain steps you need to take to ensure your claim is properly reported to The North Carolina Industrial Commission, which governs work injuries.

  1. Report the injury to your supervisor or to human resources as soon as possible but no later than 30 days after the injury or incident. While you are only required to give verbal notice, written notice is preferred.

  2. Ask your employer where you should go to get medical treatment. In North Carolina, the employer and/or insurance company gets to tell you when and were to seek treatment.

  3. Make sure a claim is set-up with your employer’s insurance company. Most of the time your employer will report the accident for you; however, you should also report the injury. This can be done be filing a Form 18 and submitting it to the North Carolina Industrial Commission. A copy of this form can be found on the Commissions’ website at

  4. Once the claim is opened with your employer’s workers’ compensation carrier, an adjuster should reach out to you regarding your claim.

  5. The adjuster, generally, has 90 days to investigate your claim and determine whether your claim is compensable, meaning whether you are eligible for benefits or not.

  6. Once your claim has been accepted, the insurance company will direct and pay for your medical treatment.

  7. If your claim is denied, you can file an appeal by filing out a Form 33 and submitting it to the North Carolina Industrial Commission, which can also be found at

Even though you get hurt at work, it does not mean you will automatically qualify for workers’ compensation benefits. There are certain criteria that must be met, and numerous loopholes insurance companies use to deny coverage.  Our attorneys can help you navigate through the claims process and ensure you receive all the benefits to which you may be entitled. 

bottom of page